A Letter from Matt at Axis (Understanding Your Teen Summit)
1. There are no perfect parents.
2. My approach to screens/smartphones truly does matter and can shape my childrens' minds and lives.
3. I must be the first authority on sex and pornography for my child -- Always bringing it up earlier than I actually think I should too. Because the world speaks loudly.
4. The minute I check out on my kids, they will see it and reciprocate.
5. My marriage will set the tone for our household, and shape SO many thoughts and beliefs about "normal" for my children.
6. There will be an unending pressure to "measure up" "fit in" and "be perfect" as a parent, and none of it matters next to loving God and my family.
7. The biggest priority in my family cannot be sports, academics, even treatment of others -- it MUST be a love for Christ. That leads to everything else.
8. I want my children to be uncomfortable, meet people they don't look or sound like or even agree with -- then, we'll deal with whatever comes from that and rely on God.
9. God owns my children. They are not mine. I just put them to bed, help them understand the world, and have good and hard conversations with them.
10. No matter what, culture will provide an answer and vision of "the good life" for my children. My task is to live out and present faith and the Gospel as more fulfilling than the immediate gratification the world can give...but balance not creating a fearful mindset...or dualistic philosophy...or raising a little separatist who wants to run away from the world...wow. Parenting is not exactly a 10 point plan, is it?
Parenting is really hard work. Sometimes, no often, it is overwhelming! It is easy to feel like we are failing. When those times creep up on you, remember God has given you those children and He will help you make it through even the toughest of days. Sometimes all you can do is just breathe and say, "Help me, Lord!"
Enjoying the journey,
Michelle Osborn is the owner and founder of Yellow House Book Rental, specializing in providing homeschool curriculum for rent or purchase, as well as counseling and guidance for homeschool families. She is a wife of 30 years, a 22-year homeschool veteran, and mom of four amazing children. She and her husband absolutely adore their four grandchildren. Two of their children are now entrepreneurs, running their own businesses and doing quite well. Michelle’s passions include serving by leading worship at her church and encouraging homeschool moms through one on one, social media and speaking engagements. She has found her niche in helping parents homeschooling their teens through the high school years and on to pursue their dreams
Yellow House Book Rental links to many different sources within our blogs. A link does not equal an endorsement. We cannot guarantee the content of each site (especially its ads).
Visit our sponsors! We receive a small commission when you purchase through these links. (As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.) Thank you. The purchases do not cost you more but help support our business and ministry. We only promote those that we love and believe in!