Welcome to Yellow House Book Rental! We are primarily a homeschool curriculum, rental service. However, we offer a variety of services. You can compare each one, at Yellow House Book Rental, and decide which is best for your family.
**This post may contain affiliate links and we will be compensated, at no extra charge to you, if you make a purchase after clicking on these links.
Every year I do the same thing. I tell myself that I will get all my Christmas shopping, and gifts made and done before Thanksgiving. This has been a Christmas wish that continues to elude me! It has been on very rare occasions that I actually have sent Christmas gifts early enough that they arrive before Christmas. Such high hopes... maybe this year? I doubt it.
Whether I have stressed about it or not, by Christmas day, it all works out. Gifts are under the tree, and extended family has come to know that gifts will come in the mail after Christmas. I think of it as an extra Christmas bit of fun extended.
In my almost 28 years of marriage and 21 years of homeschooling, I have learned that we, parents, need to be the examples of how and WHY Christmas is celebrated. It's not about how many presents you get, how much you get done, how incredible your Christmas dinner is, or if your house looks as pretty and festive as your neighbor's. Children learn so much more from what they see lived out in our lives than they ever will learn from our words.
Here are a few ways that our family concentrates more on giving than receiving.
- Every year World Vision and Compassion come out with a Christmas catalog- Our children were given a specific amount of money to spend on purchasing a gift form the catalog.They would give some of their money from their piggy banks and we would give the rest. This gave us the opportunity to show them the needs of children around the world, to remind them to be thankful for all their many blessings, as well as let them experience the blessing of giving.
- Our homeschool group continues to find ways to give: We have made blankets for the homeless shelter, provided groceries for a family to make a Thanksgiving dinner, sent homemade Christmas cards to soldiers, etc. and this year we filled.....
- Shoeboxes for Christmas Child
- When our children were young we would read the story of Jesus birth from Luke 2:8-20. They would dress up as Joseph, Mary, Shepherds, baby Jesus, etc and they would act it out as Dad read.
- My husband and I keep the gifts to our children and each other at a minimal. We are not big spenders, blow the budget, go in debt, etc at Christmas. From the time our children were very young, what they got and how much they got on Christmas day was not the focal point.
- Find opportunities to give all year long. Your children are watching and learning.
Why do we celebrate Christmas? Because Jesus was born to give His life and we are so thankful for that gift!
How does your family focus on giving during the holiday season? I would love to hear. Please comment below.
Enjoying the journey,
Hi! I'm Michelle, the owner and founder of Yellow House Book Rental, specializing in providing homeschool curriculum for rent or purchase, as well as counseling and guidance for homeschool families. I'm a wife of 29 years, a 22-year homeschool veteran, and mom of four amazing children ranging from 18-26. We are just about to empty the nest. Oh, how time flew! My husband and I are excited to see how the Lord will use us in this new phase of life. I'd love to be friends! Send me an email, or connect with me on social media and tell me about yourself.
Yellow House Book Rental links to many different sources within our blogs. A link does not equal an endorsement. We cannot guarantee the content of each site (especially its ads).
Visit our sponsors! We receive a small commission when you purchase through these links. (As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.) Thank you. The purchases do not cost you more but help support our business and ministry. We only promote those that we love and believe in!
Share this post